Welcome to London Tonight Tonight.

This is the official website of London Tonight, on ITV1 in London and the South East every weeknight at 6pm.


11.11.09

Weather blog

 
Good evening,
 
Having been driving for many years I've encountered a wide variety of motoring conditions. Standing water, ice, blizzard, flood, heatwave, gales & even fire, but this morning I had my first brush with the threat that fallen leaves can pose.
 
Like many people I'm guilty of an impatient & sceptical sigh at the mention of disruption to rail services due to leaves on the track, but (& I'm reluctant to admit this) I can see the sense of it after my near miss this morning.
 
My journey to work begins with a drive to the station & the leaves which have been steadily falling over recent weeks have now -thanks to a spell of damp weather- become a slimey pulp along some roads. So shortly after breakfast today I had to take evasive action as I rounded a corner to be greeted by a large, shiney 4x4 heading straight towards me. I wasn't moving very quickly but I needed to slow down before pulling into the verge & no sooner had I touched the brakes than I was sliding around with little control over my trajectory. It felt very like the time I aquaplaned my just-bought-with-my-first-pay-cheque car into the side of a milk lorry. Luckily on this occasion disaster was avoided but while the leaves & rain continue to fall I will proceed with extreme caution & urge you (although I suspect you don't need my advice) to do the same.
 
There'll be a bit of everything weatherwise over the next few days, but at least it'll be getting a little milder.
 
Hope to see you later,
 
Robin