Welcome to London Tonight Tonight.

This is the official website of London Tonight, on ITV1 in London and the South East every weeknight at 6pm.


11.11.09

London Tonight Tonight

Good afternoon. On the programme tonight, we'll show you how the capital paid its respects on Armistice Day. It's 91 years since the end of the First World War but the death of the last surviving veterans over the course of the past twelve months means that this year marks the passing of 'The Great War' from living memory into history. Today, those who have lost their lives fighting for their country, including the continuing sacrifices made by our troops in Afghanistan, were remembered across the city.

And while our fallen heroes were remembered in the traditional way today, one World War Two soldier has been remembered in a very unusual one. London Indie rock band 'Athlete' have written a special song about the lead singer's grandad, who was seriously wounded in action. All the proceeds are going to the Royal British Legion and Liz Wickham has just promised me a very emotional piece.

Also tonight, Lucy will bring us up to speed on the latest film in the 'Twilight' saga, called 'New Moon'. For the uninitiated, 'Twilight' is something of a phenomenon with the films adapted from the books by Stephanie Meyer. The plot? Well, it's sort of an angst-ridden teenage vampire love story. Sorry, I'm not James King?! Think 'Lost Boys' for teenage girls and women trying to recapture their youth. And if you sense a little green-eyed, mid-thirties angst on my part it's because my other half is obsessed with the books, the films and particularly the smouldering young fop who plays the lead role, London's own Robert Pattinson. I've just asked Katie for her opinion on the one dubbed 'pasty-boy' in my house and she is supportively unimpressed. Katie says - and I quote - 'he's a little bit weedy' and 'not very swoonsome'. Unfortunately, it would appear the vast majority of women disagree and guiltily, I actually quite liked the first film. I thought I'd be dragged to this second instalment immediately upon its release, but when I suggested going to see it in what I thought a hugely magnanimous gesture, I was told that a girls' night has been planned and my presence isn't required! Charming! I'm with Katie. He's a little bit weedy...

See you at Six.

Matt and Katie